follow me on my journey to run farther & faster.

Friday 22 May 2015

progress

I have posted a bit about what I've been learning regarding running but haven't really posted about my own experience thus far.
Current Records
Fastest 1k: 4:40
Fastest 1 mile: 8:48
Fastest 5k: 30:03
I've quite enjoyed this passion project because it's just extra motivation to get outside and run. Sometimes there isn't a lot of time for it, but I have been able to keep it up as well as see improvements as the weeks have gone by. When a few days go by and I have been too busy to take an hour and run, I actually become frustrated because it's become an activity that I've gotten used to as part of my weekly routine. It's become less hard to be motivated to go because I want to beat a record. It always feels rewarding to come home knowing I've been outside, ran for a good amount miles and been active. There have been noticeable improvements in my endurance. Sometimes when I'd run I would take breaks and walk a bit in between but now that only tends to happen on the long ones. I've been able to run faster too as I run more distance but not taking too much time to do so. I find that I enjoy moderate distances the best. Super long runs are hard, super short ones aren't very satisfying! Recently I got a new pair of running shoes, which have actually made a bit of a difference. I noticed that my feet hurt as I increased the distance that I ran, also they didn't offer a lot of support and my knees were sore after a long run. The bottom tread of my was very worn out...it was time for some new footwear. So I went shopping and found a pair of running shoes that were light, had decent traction and also offered sufficient support. (As an added bonus, they were on sale and they look cute.)
My mentor for this project is my mom who also runs frequently. We've ran together a few times, and I've taken my younger sister with me as well. It's fun to challenge each other (especially my mom now as we've been getting her to run for longer distances.) She's asked me about how far I've been going and progress I have made. We have discussed benefits, tips and the health aspect to running together throughout this project. It has been fun to include her in what I've learned. Finally, there is some connection from this passion project to my faith. Running is a way in which I can stay healthy, but also appreciate the health and abilities that I have been given. Spending time building relationships and in God's creation is also one of my favourite parts about my passion project.
I'm excited to wrap up the project soon, but I also can't wait to continue to pursue this activity in the future as it's been a positive, rewarding experience so far.

1 comment:

  1. You need to change your blog title to Just Dewitt ✔

    ReplyDelete